Saturday, November 11, 2006

I was hungry for a peach, but the peaches on the floor were all dirty. I went outside to find a peach tree. I didn't know if they even grew here or if there were any out in November. Or if someone out there was already picking them all.
It didn't take me but a few seconds to spot this giant tree with the most beautiful fruit I have ever seen. Never mind that it was a white pine tree, never mind that I am deathly afraid of heights, I was climbing that fucker to get them beautiful, sweet, nutrient-rich, peaches.
I hastily leaped onto the branches, my clumsy weak arms pulling me upward. I barely noticed the bark scraping my skin raw. I reached out to grab a fruit when I realized not only that it was out of my reach but it was covered in ulcers on one side and it was kind of moldy.
"Poor peachy, I'm not the only one thought you tasty." I reached out to my right, another moldy peach. " Alright it's late in the season, this tree is filled with a ton of fruit I'm sure If I just swing out to that branch there.. and... no."
I looked at the bountiful limbs above me. Shining in the sun, golden peachy goodness.
I climbed with a grace and fearlessness that was completely uncharacteristic for me. I scanned the peaches, all so bad. How could they have teased me all being so nice and prutty on one side and rotten on the other? I noticed that the sun glimmering on the slime, it looked so unnatural. It gave the fruit a kind of holy looking radiance. I thought that if the bad ones still could be lovely what might the good ones look like? I tried to climb some more, but the branches were brittle and they were spaced far apart. It wasn't just a quest for a peach now, it was the quest for the story I would tell about the flawless peach I would find at the highest bows.
Then it ends.
hoo-ray.

No comments: