Sunday, February 07, 2010

People ask Atheists questions like,
"don't you feel hopeless thinking life has no meaning?."
At one point in time, this question might have made sense.
But all the same, ideas of spirituality and awe are not lost on me. To truly understand that you are a part of the universe and were once one with the singularity of everything. To know that we are billions of years in the making is a very awesome and humbling idea.
My view of the world, as empty of supernatural influence, does not make me feel hopless.
If someone asks me if I feel hopeless, I would say "I assume I'm not more or less full of despair than anyone else." Life is full of uncertainty, and we all have our ways of dealing with it.
I am curious in the same way the faithful are.
I want to know how Christians can just go about their lives with hope even thought their God is invisible, unknowable, omni-present but at the same time never there when something terrible happens. How can people live with a dead-beat father in heaven? Don't they feel hopeless when their prayers aren't answered? Don't they feel confused when they follow plans seemingly set out by father god, are plans gone awry? Don't they feel burdened when they always have to be subjected to the will of something formless but large as life?
I might sound critical of the Christians but I'm just expressing my ideas in the best words I can choose. I really have this curiosity and despite my disbelief, I don't want to completely cut off my mindset from the spiritual believers. I have my ways of getting by. It's not prayer, it's thoughtful meditation, it's not communion it's socialization, it's not blind faith, it's active learning that gets me by. I've always felt this way, and it sets me apart from the congregations I've been exposed to. But I don't think we should just be separate. We need to be able to discuss our differences soberly, and politely to be able to really grow ourselves in our spirituality and knowledge.

No comments: