Wednesday, April 24, 2002

The subject of today is.... Memories! with the subtitle: Jumping Off Really High Things =)
On a camping trip last summer I had the opportunity to see some really great scenery! I saw some amazing
waterfalls, caves, cliffs, mountains, lakes and sunsets, that were all so pretty in their own way. =)
One waterfall in particular interested me. It was half dried up and you could walk to the edge of it and look down onto the blue-green water.
Well, I walked out there, ignoring the "NO SWIMMING" signs and the "TRAIL CLOSED SIGNS", to the edge. There were a few tourists standing on the main trail, a few of them were Asian ^,^ and a few were just some blubbery ol' Americans. They were all staring at me
wondering if i was gonna commit suicide or somthing. Which could have been possible on account of that the waterfall was like 50 feet up (I'm not the best judge of hight, all I can tell ya is that it was really high up!!)and the water at the bottom was full of jagged rocks!
I decided that I was gonna impress everyone and myself by jumpin off this geological wonder.Well, I was smart and tested the water before I went up so I knew exactly where to jump. I looked down at the water, I was really,really, really freakin scared. I could see from up there that there was a ledge that jutted out about halfway down that I hadn't really seen before. The sun was beating down on my back and I felt a little dizzy. The space in which I could jump safely seemed only about 5 feet in diameter. Suddenly thoughts of gettin my brain bashed in by a ledge flashed through my mind. I thought about how I might loose my footing or trip and fall, the worst thought though was of them dragging my dead body out of the water. Another disturbing thought was of my el cheapo swimsuit ripping on impact. Then I had good thoughts of how I would have a interesting story to tell for once, and how i would be impressing the sexay
Asains and the stupid Americans. I thought I would be really proud of myself for jumping. I felt my body being dragged back by my fear, and I felt the exicitement pulling me forward. I really wanted to jump, and I knew I was thinking too much about it. I knew if i worried too much I might loose my footing or miscalculate the distance. The horrible fears might my knees give out while i was springing to leap. I had bad thoughts, then good, then bad thoughts and then good thoughts and then I had a short period of non-thought, I took a deep breath without really realizing it---Then I jumped!!!! When I hit the water, I was kind of surprised..
I can't believe it! I did it!
The Americans cheered! and the Asians were shaking their cute little heads! I DID IT WHEEEE!!!
I loved the excitement of it and I loved that they were cheering for me! So I did it again and again!
Well children, the moral of the story is don't let fear pull you back from what you are determined to do it might make you fuck up.
Another good moral, is to test the waters (but not with both legs) and look for all the hidden ledges before you jump.
Also, you must realize that all platforms from which to jump are not always the ones for you. I couldn't jump off one platform at another park, now that one almost killed me! Thats another story for another day. I think I'm rambling and I've spent more than an hour on this!

No comments: